Building fire safety for business owners and managers
The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games will attract visitors from around the country and around the world.
One of the important obligations of business owners, managers, and accommodation providers is to ensure that visitors, staff and occupants are safe in the event of an emergency.
Now is the time to ensure that all fire safety features of your buildings are compliant and maintained.
- Are evacuation routes clearly marked?
- Are evacuation diagrams correct and secure?
- Are the routes clear from obstructions?
- In accommodation buildings are evacuation diagrams correctly placed and orientated?
- Are the exits signs and emergency lighting undamaged and maintained?
Fire safety installations
- Are fire extinguishers and hose reels maintained, clearly marked and unobstructed?
- Are other systems such as alarm panels and hydrant boosters maintained?
Evacuation plans and staff training
- Is there a building Fire and Evacuation Plan in place?
- Have general evacuation and first response instructions been given?
- Has an evacuation practice been conducted (this should be done annually and prior to the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games would be ideal)?
- Has your evacuation plan been reviewed?
This checklist has been provided as a guide only.
For more detailed information on your building safety obligations please refer to the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services website and consult with your fire safety provider (if applicable).
Safe and compliant business = safe and secure Games